Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sister visit - March

As I looked over my past few blog posts, I realized that I have become a bit behind on posting about some events, one of which was a visit from Lyle's sister and her husband in March. We also had a visit from my sisters this past week, so I will try and catch up with both visits.
Susie and Gary arrived from Iowa in mid-March for a visit to both Paris and Rome. It was a fun time showing them the sights, exploring some new restaurants, and taking them on a couple of tours.

Going to a market in Paris can't be missed.....there is everything there from cheeses, fruits and vegetables, clothes, jewelry, flowers, fish,

and of course......PORK! Gary wasn't impressed?

The sun was out, even though a little brisk, so while Lyle was at work I took them on a boat cruise down the Seine.


And we couldn't miss Le Tour Eiffel, the Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame....






The weather turned from crisp and sunny to a cold, drizzly Sunday, but we hopped on a Metro and took a Paris Walks tour of Montmarte and Sacre Coeur church high up on a hill overlooking Paris....



Susie wanted to see one of the oldest churches in Paris, Saint Denis, built between 1137 and 1281. It's on the site of the tomb of St. Denis, the first bishop of Paris, who was beheaded in Montmarte in AD 250. It has been a burial place for the rulers of France, although many of the tombs were desecrated during the Revolution. The coldness of the place was not only from the weather, but seemed also like a graveyard, holding tombs of Henri II, Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette...





They headed on a train to Normandy for a few days and stayed at our favorite Bed&Breakfast. I, unfortunately, had to cut my visit short with them because I wanted to see my mother in Florida, who was in the hospice with cancer. But Lyle was able to finish their trip with them in Rome, sans camera, so I don't have any pictures to post. They were able to see the ruins and Vatican, eat some lovely dinners outdoors, saw the sights, even though Lyle squeezed in work there too! They were even able to experience warm, sunny weather!

No comments: