Friday, October 16, 2009

Two of us in Rome

It was exactly a year ago when I was able to visit Rome on our way back from Sicily.  It was just an overnight stay, tagging along while Lyle had to work.  At that time, I arrived with an upset stomach, probably from something I ate, and after some Immodium, I did get to squeeze a few sights in before having to leave less than 24 hours after I got there.

Then I missed the planned trip in April with Susie and Gary because my mom was in her last days in Florida.  So, when Lyle told me he was going again, I strongly hinted that I really would love to spend a little more time there.  We arrived on a warm and sunny Sunday afternoon, and started our walk through the plazas.  This time HE was the tour guide, as he had seen most of it before.  The one things he DID want to see was the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel.  But it was closed on Sunday.

Lyle isn't big on ruins.  I told him I would check those out the next day while he was working, which suited him fine.  Armed with our Rick Steve's guide on how to see Rome in two days, we started with a pizza and a glass or wine at the Campo d'Fiori,  lined with outdoor restaurants.  We then found Piazza Navona.  It used to be the center of Roman life back in the 1800s, with beautiful fountains, and is still crowded with street muscians and artists.


We found plenty of crowds on the Corso, the famous shopping street, and Lyle was on the hunt for some good Italian shoes.  He has worn out the soles of his shoes with all the walking we do in Paris.  But, this is not the place to shop with shoes costing far more than even he would pay (I look at the prices and think I would rather spend the money on a trip!).  He did find some on a side street, though, so he was happy!

We spent the rest of our Sunday checking out the Pantheon, first built in 27 b.c., burned and rebuilt between 110 and 125 a.d......




....the Spanish Steps.....



....and Trevi Fountain ("Three Coins in the Fountain")......




"Which one will the fountain bless?"  I think, me.


2 comments:

Teddi said...

Ah, Roma! Piazza Navona is one of my favorite spots there. Brings back memories of my college trip there - we stayed for a week, just around the corner for the Church of St. Agnes, which fronts on the Piazza.

Anonymous said...

Glad you finally were able to make it to Rome. Gary so wants to go back.

Susie