Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Reflections on the first two months in Paris

Lyle and I had to fulfill the red-tape requirements from the French government and pick up our visas in Chicago, after waiting for a couple of months. We combined this with a trip back home to Minnesota and are enjoying reconnecting with family and friends. Lyle could only spend 5 days and is already back in Europe. I am here for two weeks.


Looking back on the first two months as "ex-pats" in France, I find myself reflecting on the exciting opportunities we have had, as well as the challenges. There have been many, but here a just a few........



THE CHALLENGES:


** The language barrier is on the top of my list. It frustrates me because I cannot strike up a conversation with someone in a cafe or the friendly face at the market. It is isolating. Now that Lyle's assignment has "officially" started with the work visa, I am going to start French lessons.



** The weather has been gray and dreary, but I hesitate to even mention it after hearing about the long winter in Minnesota! Weather has mostly been in the 30s and 40s.



** Communication issues - it took nearly a month to get our internet set up, and I have been without a cell phone. Sometimes Lyle and I had to resort to talking over the internet using either instant messaging or Skype, just to tell me when he would get home from work!



** The euro vs. the dollar. It continues to get worse and prices go up. Currently one euro costs $1.60 or so. It makes things very costly. Eating out is expensive, and buying clothes is something reserved for trips home.



** Washing clothes is an all-day process. Since we have a combination washer/dryer, we have to wait until the clothes are dry to do another load. And, it takes over 2 to 3 hours to dry a load, even then needing to hang up damp shirts and drape sheets over the radiators.





** Missing our families, (four granddaughters now!) especially birthdays and other milestones. Having a webcam and Skype has helped with that, though. Email and free long-distance with our new phone plan also makes the world "smaller". (Katelyn's birthday celebrated two weeks later so Gramma and Grampa could come!)




THE POSITIVES:


** The opportunity to live in a beautiful city and see landmarks that many only read about. The Eiffel tower is a few minutes walk from our apartment and we can see it blink every night from our living room. I continually am awed by this!









** Having the time to read and experience French history through walking tours, bus tours with some new-found friends, and just walking around Paris on my own with a guidebook in hand.




** I am looking forward to showing this city and countryside to visitors, studying up about places to go and stay.


** I am more healthy with the walking and good eating, shedding a few pounds and hopefully will continue with that!


** The opportunity to travel and see other parts of Europe.


** We even get to hear and see our cable stations from Minnesota, via the computer and Slingbox. So what if Oprah is on at 11 pm? At least now Lyle can watch "Sunrise Earth" at noon if he wants to!


** I daily count my blessings that I can see a view like this outside my "city" window, and still be able to come home once in awhile and see the woods outside my "country" window in Minnesota. They are both special.




Sunsets over the Invalides in Paris................ and over the woods in Minnesota


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved that entry from you...thanks,,,love,Merrie Jo