"But, Grammy, WHY do you have to go back to Paris?" says my granddaughter Ava, with a sad look on her face.
"Because Grampa is there and I am going to go back and be with him now".
"But you need to be with ME!"
How do I explain this to a 'nearly' four-year-old? The two weeks at home now feel like a whirlwind of seeing friends, spending time with families, and of, course, holding a new 6-week granddaughter. This time, when on the plane going back, a few more tears were shed. We realize that many people probably wonder how we can do this at this point in our lives....and sometimes we wonder too. But we know that this is still an opportunity that we needed to take and it will go fast. It does get hard, though, especially as relationships continue to build as our grandchildren get older. The little ones don't really understand time, yet, but we know that when we do return, we get huge smiles, and they run into our arms. Ahh.....


I returned to Paris on a rainy and cold day. Lyle was in Amsterdam, then Milan the next day. But I didn't spend the next day alone, as I met a new friend named Elizabeth visiting from St. Paul, who was here for a quick trip visiting the Paris she loves. We met at a Tea House down the street, walked around the neighborhood, and took in a new Italian restaurant for dinner. We had
a great day.
Yesterday, our friends Terry and Jean flew in and are staying with us. We visited the Rodin museum a few blocks away (saw "The Thinker") and today we are all taking a car to visit Burgundy for a few days. It looks SUNNY now, so hopefully the weather will hold out for a great weekend. More on that when we get back!
"Because Grampa is there and I am going to go back and be with him now".
"But you need to be with ME!"
How do I explain this to a 'nearly' four-year-old? The two weeks at home now feel like a whirlwind of seeing friends, spending time with families, and of, course, holding a new 6-week granddaughter. This time, when on the plane going back, a few more tears were shed. We realize that many people probably wonder how we can do this at this point in our lives....and sometimes we wonder too. But we know that this is still an opportunity that we needed to take and it will go fast. It does get hard, though, especially as relationships continue to build as our grandchildren get older. The little ones don't really understand time, yet, but we know that when we do return, we get huge smiles, and they run into our arms. Ahh.....
Hoping to see spring in April in Minnesota, one day we woke up to snow again......and then a few days later it was a beautiful warm spring day......and then it snowed again! The granddaughters were flexible, though, busying themselves with making coffee for Grandma, coloring out on the patio, and visiting the children's museum.
I returned to Paris on a rainy and cold day. Lyle was in Amsterdam, then Milan the next day. But I didn't spend the next day alone, as I met a new friend named Elizabeth visiting from St. Paul, who was here for a quick trip visiting the Paris she loves. We met at a Tea House down the street, walked around the neighborhood, and took in a new Italian restaurant for dinner. We had
Yesterday, our friends Terry and Jean flew in and are staying with us. We visited the Rodin museum a few blocks away (saw "The Thinker") and today we are all taking a car to visit Burgundy for a few days. It looks SUNNY now, so hopefully the weather will hold out for a great weekend. More on that when we get back!
1 comment:
I'm so glad that you had a safe trip home!
You are so good at making new friends. It's exciting to hear how you are getting more connected in Paris.
Of course, we are missing you here. I posted about Ava helping you pack. Hugs and Kisses!!
Post a Comment