SI! Wanting to see another country and even practice my Spanish, I got on my computer and looked for a cheap flight. There are many here....the competition must be fierce! I found one leaving on Friday morning and coming back on Tuesday. This could work! I was tired of the rainy weather in Paris and Madrid always has sunshine and is warmer, right?
Well, no. On Friday, we left sunny and warm weather in Paris, which we had been enjoying for over a week.......to a cold, rainy Madrid! How does that work? Didn't we go south? I left Paris wearing a short skirt and sandals.....and felt totally out of place in Madrid amid the jeans, knee-high boots, jackets, and scarves (again!).
Madrilenos have weird hours, even more so than Parisians. Their dinner hour doesn't begin until after 9 pm, after dining on tapas and drinking beer or wine for a few hours. We did try some tapas and then headed for a small restaurant that evening and tried to keep our eyes open after 10 pm.
Saturday was a drizzly day, so we headed out with our umbrellas and walked to the Prado Museum. This is where the great Spanish painters have their masterpieces.....Velasquez, Goya, El Greco, as well as some Flemish and Italian painters. I had heard about this museum when I was taking Spanish in high school and was anxious to see it. But how do you even take in over 7,000 paintings? We spent a good three hours there and were very impressed. (We both were amazed that at last 95% of the paintings were religious-themed.) This is the "Louvre" of Madrid.
On Monday, Lyle had to work....and I was ready to tour! I met Lisa and her daughter and we walked, and walked. This 5 hour tour surpassed Frommer's suggestions! I think we covered at least 2/3 of Madrid! She took me to the plazas, famous chocolate and pastry shops, the "old Madrid" with 13th and 14th century streets, the king's palace, the parks, and amazing landmarks. I am including a few of the pictures I took, but I will attempt a slide show in the next post of more of the sights.
One of MANY fountains...
Standing on Plaza Mayor
That evening, we had planned to go and see a Flamenco show, but we were both just too worn out. So we relaxed with a glass of wine near the palace and then walked to a wonderful restaurant in a narrow, winding side street (said it had been around since 1642!) where Lyle enjoyed a great steak and I had baby lamb, both specialties of the house. Steak isn't easy to find in Paris, so this was a treat!
Madrid was beautiful and it was fascinating to see another culture. It was very cosmopolitan, full of upscale stores and well-preserved "old madrid" streets. The parks and green spaces were impressive. As for using my Spanish, I had somewhat of a hard time changing my brain from French to Spanish, of which I am at least somewhat able to get around with. My problem was I kept saying "oui" instead of "si"! And...I had learned "Latin American Spanish", not the Castillian Spanish where they say "grathiath" instead of gracias! That was hard to get used to!
2 comments:
Your pictures bring back so many memories for me...I have pictures of many of the same things, but from 11 years ago! It still looks much the same. I too was amazed by the Prado museum, so much to see in a short time. I hope you have more time to travel around Spain in the months to come. Sounds like despite the rain you had a great weekend!
Wow! Add it to the list of places I've never been, but need to travel to. So glad to hear that the two of you are enjoying traveling, taking weekend trips on a whim, and enjoying life and the opportunities you have over there. Make the most of it - Tanya and I cannot wait to come back and visit sometime!
Love ya,
Patrick
Post a Comment