Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's getting colder....

It felt like November today......a frigid crispness to the air and temperatures barely into the 40s. Still, I ventured to the outdoor market because I hadn't been there in months and had a free morning. Even though I was in my boots, my feet turned numb while walking up and down the pavement under the metro tracks overhead. It seemed bigger this time, with sellers selling breads, fruits and vegetables, fish, clothes, shoes, kitchenware, jewelry. It's a bargain hunter's delight!

A while ago I snapped this picture of a family with three sisters all dressed alike in their jackets and boots. Not only adults are dressed to the nines here, but also the kids! And they love their scarves.......everyone wears them.....men, women, and kids! It is so noticeable that I feel undressed if I don't wear one. But I have learned the value of them and welcome the warmth around my neck when walking the Paris streets! They also spark up the drab brown, gray, and black coats that they usually wear! If anyone wants one, just let me know and I will bring some home with me! The market I went to this morning have lots to choose from!

This afternoon I did my weekly trip to the "pressiers", the laundry. After bringing in Lyle's shirts for the past 7 months, the woman behind the counter finally knows me and is beginning to tolerate my simple French requests. She knows I am trying to venture out each time with a few more words and today she looked at me and asked where my scarf was? Wasn't I freezing? I knew what she was saying and tried to remember the words for "I forgot it", but couldn't come up with it. So, I just told her that I lived nearby and didn't need it....in FRENCH! Ah, for the day, when I can actually carry on a conversation!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a conversation, Penny. Good work! How's Sebastian?

Kathy K.

Rachel said...

She was expecting you to act like a French lady, that's a good sign. :)

Oh, and I love scarves too!

Rachel said...

Oh, and those girls' boots are adorable!