I have always enjoyed Christmas teas and lunches and have been able to even do them here. Yes, I miss sharing these with daughters-in-laws, granddaughters, moms, sisters, and girlfriends, but I have met some wonderful and interesting women through the clubs I have joined. And, of course, these clubs have teas and lunches.
In the past two weeks I went to three of them!
First, the Women of the American Church in Paris group was invited to the American Ambassador's Residence for tea and tour. This gorgeous home, on the same rue as President Sarkozy's residence, was built in 1836 by a baroness from New Orleans. After she died, Baron de Rothschild bought it, extended it and furnished it. His son inherited it, but during World War II it was taken over by the officer's club of the Luftwaffe. It lost many of its furnishings and was turned into offices for the US Embassy after the war. Through private donations and research, it has been returned into the elegant residence it once was. Now, it is full of American artwork and open to those who would like to visit, as long as you bring your passport and go through major security! I did meet Mrs. Stapleton (the ambassador's wife), who greeted us afterwards and said she was in the midst of packing up....their term is over.
The Women's International Club held their Christmas lunch at "Le Train Bleu", an ornate restaurant at the Lyon train station, built in 1901. It is full of "belle-epoque" furnishings, stained glass, and 41 mural paintings on the walls and ceilings that portray different scenes from the sites along the old railway network during the 1900s. This place was beautiful! The menu was typically French: foie gras with pureed figs, a souffle of crayfish and spinach, and a meringue filled with sorbet and whipped creme. It was actually quite good! A couple of us taught "Silent Night" to a woman from Siberia who now sings opera in Washington, D.C. She then lead us in singing the carol before we parted.
Last Friday, on a cold and rainy day, the Friday Tour Group met at the Madeleine Church for a tour and lunch. This church does not look like a church at all, even though it was begun a number of times in the 1700s as a church, but was never completed. Then, Napoleon took it over in 1806 and had it designed after a Greek temple, and was dedicated to his armies. It became a church in 1842.

Inside, it feels like you are either in a Greek temple, or even a Roman bath, with its 52 pillars and gilded statues. Now there are Sunday masses, as well as concerts. We are hoping to go to hear Handel's Messiah there.
There was an exhibition of a variety of "Creches de Noel" from Portugal....
And we all had a lunch in a long hallway-like room in the side of the church....
I think I am back to reality now.....sending out a few cards to our French friends (my daughter-in-law Rachel is helping me out this year with sending out our greetings in the US), shopping online, and just taking time to walk around this beautiful city full of lights at this time of year. It also gives me the time to think about the real reason we celebrate all of these things......the gift of Jesus to us.....and for ways I can in turn, bless others in some small way.
1 comment:
Ah, Penny, it sounds so lovely. I would love to go to tea with you! Perhaps if I plan better, I can have a relaxing Christmas next winter too.
Post a Comment