Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pizza night

Lyle loves pizza on Sunday nights. He introduced me to Italian Pie Shoppe when we were dating and said he had been getting pizza there for nearly 20 years. I am not a huge pizza fan, but that pizza is something else! Once you start eating it, you can't stop. It became a habit to either go or order from that little place in Minnesota on Sunday nights.

So, since we arrived in Paris, we have been on a hunt for a good pizza. We have not had much luck. Ok, we are not very enthusiastic about "authentic" Italian pizza, I admit. We love the heavy cheese, sauce, and pepperoni. That is something that is not easily found here. Most of the pizzas are very thin on sauce and cheese....and instead of pepperoni....it's jambon (ham). It is just not the same.

Then we discovered Pizza Hut on the way home from church. Could Pizza Hut actually be close to what we were missing? We tried it a few weeks ago and were quite happy with it. Real pepperoni (chorizo here)! Not that much cheese, but it would do. They even had a deal for 2 pizzas for the price of one, so I froze one for the next Sunday night.

Well, tonight it was cold and rainy outside and we weren't too excited about walking the 6 blocks or so to the Pizza Hut store. We saw that they delivered, but that would mean I would have to call them on the phone and try and get my order understood....in French! Am I ready for that?

Well, the internet helped me solve that problem. I found the French website, found the local Pizza hut, typed in all of the information (yes, in French, but it is still easier for me to read it instead of SPEAKING it!). I ordered the pizza and it was promised in 30 minutes.

I opened the window after a half hour and watched on the street below. Not wanting to give out our two door codes, I hoped I would meet him when he got there. Following French custom, he was 30 minutes late, and I ran down the 8 flights of stairs to pick up my two pizzas. No, the young garçon told me....that is only if you pick it up at the store. Oh well...15 euros for a pizza plus tip? It's still less than going out.......and it was delicious! Not quite Italian Pie Shoppe, but it will do. Almost just like being home!

No comments: