Monday, January 5, 2009

Bonne Année!





Bonne Année to all of you!! This greeting comes from both Penny and Lyle but the author today is a “guest” writer… It seems Penny is taking the week off from her writing about our adventures and life here so I am standing in.


Needless to say, we made it out to welcome in 2009 in the City of Lights. I finally wrapped up the last deal of the year around 7pm, scooted out of the office, and was able to take the rest of the evening off. Since I couldn’t predict if we would have the evening open we had to kind of wing it on our plans. Penny and one of her newest friends, Amy, had already found a restaurant that was 1. open and 2. didn’t have a €150+ per person price tag so I headed off to join them over by the Seine. Amy’s husband, Ken, came to join us as well. We had a very nice dinner, went over to their apartment for a bit, and finished the evening with a walk to the Seine and enjoyed a Champagne toast while watching the Eiffel tower turn back to its' normal gold color after six months of being bathed in blue during Sarkozy’s reign as President of the European Union. Paris was in full party mode – the entire City was packed with people – more than 550,000 were out on the Champps de Elysees and many more around the rest of the City. They know how to party a little better than in Minnesota. Champagne and food vendors were out everywhere on the sidewalks – the crowd just seemed to be able to have a great time without major incident – at least that we could see. We enjoyed a memorable New Year.


We have spent the rest of the four day weekend just relaxing, catching up on some sleep, reading a couple of good books, and also making some plans for 2009 – like where do we want to travel this year.... A couple of trips are in the works – next week we are going to the Canary Islands for 5 days along with a work day in Madrid. We are back to the US a month from today – should be a very special trip as we should be able to see our newest grandchild (Christa and Steve) and celebrate Patrick and Tanya’s wedding on Valentines Day! Looking forward to some very special times….. In March, Susie and Gary are planning to visit – Paris and then on to Rome. Not sure what else we can fit in this year but we are going to try and see as much as we can. I think Norway has to be in the plans for July. I’m sure Penny will keep you apprised of our escapades.

To say the least, 2008 was an interesting year. It has been interesting, fun, and also challenging. As you blog readers can tell, we are enjoying this city. It truly is something special and we are enjoying getting to know it. There is no shortage of things to do and there are good restaurants everywhere – we are having fun getting to try so many. Living in the city is a big change for this farm boy. We don't have a car and walk and walk. I think we have actually adapted well. I like the markets and the fresh food, the great bread/pastries, and the chocolate and desserts. All of our basic necessities are all available within a couple of blocks from our apartment. The weather (at least 2008) is actually nicer than Minneapolis - can be long periods of clouds/rain but the temps are much nicer. Overall, a bit more pleasant. I think most of the stereotypes, at least the ones I had, regarding the French are true - they (particularly the Parisians) are arrogant, cold, don't like to speak English much, they dress very nicely, they eat much better and look much better, and while they seem to work hard (when they are there) - they debate and debate and debate - and have extreme difficulty in coming to a decision and action plan, and they use there time off - 5-9 weeks per year. Getting to really know the Parisians is difficult as they are not really "open". As you might have expected, this old Norske is having difficulty with the language. I think I know 20 words or so. Penny has been taking French lessons and is doing quite well..... I just let her talk for me when we are out.. I have not jumped into the lessons as I just have not had time. I think I'll devote more time to learning more about French, Spanish, and Italian wines.

I underestimated the effort that would be required for work…. Everything is new – my team, the management, and the different work cultures of SW Europe. I have been challenged but it’s gone well. Overall, a very successful year - I have no complaints. The Euro Zone economy has been much stronger and resilient than I expected but they are now facing tough problems too…. One of the biggest surprises I had was the number of companies that were significantly investing and expanding into Eastern Europe. That was all going well until about October – now that seems to be another problem area here. I’m sure this worldwide financial situation will bring its’ share of new “opportunities” that will need to be navigated in 2009. Nevertheless, a year’s experience should make it somewhat easier.

As I’m sure those of you who frequent this site figured out long ago, my spirited partner is the one who makes life interesting here. Penny is the travel agent, the socialite, and the entertainer. She plans the trips and outings, makes the new acquaintances outside of my work that turn into friends that we both enjoy, allows me to work when I need to, and helps out by keeping me in starched shirts and great meals when I (finally) get home at night. I am enlightened by her company and grateful for her support. We laugh and laugh and we are simply having a good time – when we are traveling, hosting guests, or sharing time for just us…. We are certainly enjoying the experience. We are planning a great 2009; however, we miss our families dearly. We will definitely be back in Eagan in early 2010 to get re-acquainted with family and friends, enjoy some golf, and outdoor Twins games…. Til then, the saga continues.

With that, I’ll turn the reigns back to journalist and historian…

Best wishes for 2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post Lyle!
You're a natural. You must be hanging out at that Hemmingway bar.
Happy New Year guys
Eric