We arrived on a crisp, sunny day, took the train into the city, marvelling at their shiny efficient subway and train system. Problem was, we somehow got on the express train and didn't have the correct tickets. Oh well...the conductor just asked for 20 euros and went on his way.....
Vienna is the musical capital of Europe....full of concert halls, opera houses, and musical events everywhere. We spent one evening at the famous Musikverein and looked forward to a Haydn concert. The problem was....it was an opera...in Italian...translated into German. But it was a pleasant surprise, and we throroughly enjoyed it. Sitting next to us were two friendly women who were both opera stars and tried to tell us what was going on, but conversation wasn't welcomed well into the play. We just sat back and enjoyed the Concentus Musicus playing "L'infildelta delusa", whatever that was......We were where we wanted to be and the evening was wonderful!
Earlier that day we walked around central Vienna on a walking tour, learning about the Hapsburgs, Mozart, Beethoven, Strauss, Maria Theresa, and the confusing Franz Josephs and Joseph Franz's. I was just starting to understand a little of the French monarchs...but now this? All I could relate to was that Marie Antoinette was one of Maria Theresa's 13 kids who were all married off to further the Austrian empire.
We visited Marie's winter home and summer home.....Hofburg in central Vienna
.....and a short train trip out to the country side on a beautiful Sunday to Schonbrunn, similar to Versailles....
Besides serious concerts, Vienna has plenty of "touristy" shows with music and waltzes from Strauss and Mozart. Lyle gave in to my longing to do that too, since I didn't totally understand the concert the night before. We got some tickets off the street for another enjoyable concert in a small "salon" and were entertained with more classical music and dances. I loved it!
It was a relaxing weekend of music, walking, and just relaxing in coffee shops, which Vienna is famous for. But we couldn't believe the food portions (I guess we are used to the French sizes?). Our weiner schnitzel covered the entire plate, the bratwurts were huge, and the breakfasts were full of carbs! And we had to bring home the famous sachertorte from Demel's.
1 comment:
Beautiful pictures Penny!!! I would love to go there someday!
Post a Comment