Many of our visitors have also wanted to visit the Normandy beaches....and so did Steve and Christa. So we headed north in a rental car, stopped for lunch at the famous resort area of Deauville, and headed to the American Cemetery and Omaha Beaches. By then, the weather was turning a bit sour with horizontal rain, so we headed to our favorite B&B, an old mill turned into a beautiful "gite". It was my third time there, but I love the countryside! The rain cut our visit a little short, so we headed back to Paris the next afternoon.
One of the highlights when we returned to Paris was going to see an opera! We all headed to the modern Opera Bastille to see "La Boheme", which was a first for all of us. Sung in Italian, it did have French subtitles electronically above the stage. I was surprised that I could actually understand most of it (yes, I can read French much better than speak it!). We all prepped beforehand and read the words in English, downloaded from the internet.
The night before Thanksgiving, we went to the Champs-Elysee to see the Christmas lights and visit the annual
Christmas markets, the Marche de Noel. These markets are all over Europe and sell handcrafted items from around the world. They couldn't resist taking a ride on the huge ferris wheel on the Place de la Concorde, something that we did last year and loved the views!Having a map in hand, Steve and Christa visited the Louvre, the Orsay, and Montmarte on their own, while I started putting together a Thanksgiving dinner. That can be quite the ordeal here, as finding turkeys before Christmas can be quite a challenge (the French traditionally eat lots of turkey at Christmas). My friend, Amy, did order one from her favorite butcher at the market, picked it up the day before, and brought it over in her little cart, via the bus! This was a BIG dinde, about 16 pounds. But it DID fit in my oven. Turkeys are not cheap here....and even with a "sale", it was over $5.00 a pound! But it was FRESH, free-range of course, and delicious!
Thank you, Steve and Christa, for coming and making our holiday special!
1 comment:
Thank you Penny and Dad for having us! We had such a wonderful time!!! As I sit here listening to the wind howling and the snow blowing around I miss walking in Paris. Instead it's hats & mittens, scarves and Uggs around here. :( Tis the season!
It was so great to see you in your surroundings there. Now as I hear & read about your adventures I have a perfect picture in my head of right where you are.
We look forward to seeing you in ... well, a month from today! Love, Christa, Steve, Anna & Emmett
Post a Comment