Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Hoover


When you think of "Hoover", you usually think of a vacuum. Not here. In our kitchen, it is a combination washer and dryer, a curious little space-saving device, I think. I had a week's worth of laundry and thought I better try and figure it out. Yesterday, I got out the manual printed in five languages, and thankfully found English. We have already discovered that English is sometimes NOT one of the languages in the manuals! I looked up the French words on the machine and matched them with the ones in the manual....

Well, this space-saving appliance is not time-saving. After putting in a load of clothes, it took nearly two hours to wash, even when I set the dial on 60. No, this was not 60 minutes, but 60 degrees centigrade. I guess the washer has to heat the water. After it was finally finished, I turned the dial to the picture that matched for "Dryer", turned the knob to 60 again (now it means minutes). After an hour of turning one way a few spins, then another way, then spinning so fast that I swear it was a DC 7 jet engine in the kitchen, I checked the clothes. They were still damp. I learned from before that towels do not get dry unless you let them go for nearly four hours, so I took the two of them out and hung them on the heated rack in the bathroom. (Those things must serve a dual purpose). Another hour and the load was ALMOST dry. Try another 30 minutes.

I have figured out that there is a big reason for timers on these things.....people must set them when they go to work or to bed. Otherwise, it's one load a day. A clothes drying rack will be on my "to get" list......
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a good laugh over this "scope" story. I remember so well what you are describing! Living in Europe requires a lot of patience---and planning ahead--for us Americans used to fast food, fast service, and fast everything. Quick and efficient---emphasis on quick, right? You've got to agree, though, the clothes DO get really clean. I remember having my clothes hanging over every door corner, radiator, etc. One can't miss observing when it's wash day!

Penny said...

Yes, Jan.....they were hanging over chairs, but I don't have a balcony where most drape their sheets!

Rachel said...

Oh, how I love my American dryer!! While I may envy the views out your window, I am quite fond of my efficient gas dryer!