Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Joyeuses Paques

It has been over a week since the last post, mostly because we have been having trouble with our internet. Our temporary service we signed up for unexplainably went out for six days, and then reappeared again last night. We are still trying to get our phones and permanent internet going too, but after two technicians coming to try and help, we still have no service. But that is another story.....

When in France, do as the French do……go to the market street for your shopping. We took this to heart last Saturday when we decided to go to nearby Rue Cler to buy FRESH for Easter Dinner. We had asked our friends Steve and Francis to join us on Sunday, so on a rainy Saturday morning, with list in hand, we set out to shop. First things first, though……we needed a rolling cart. Before you think that little old ladies carry these things, you have to know that this is a must-have when you shop in Paris. The markets and grocery stores are geared to the apartment dwellers……and you buy what you need for the day because most of us don’t have cars. I have done my daily share of carrying my “eco-friendly” Target bag back and forth….and have the aching arms to show for it. So…..I succumbed to getting ‘the cart’.



Our first stop was to get the ham. I must tell you that ham, or “jambon” is a staple here. It is in everything from omelettes, baguettes, pizza, spaghetti….you name it. So, buying a ham should be easy? Well, we went to the boucherie and pointed to a huge leg of ham behind the counter. Of course, the butcher didn’t speak English, so I came equipped with the word “cuit” which means cooked. I didn’t want a raw ham roast! He pointed to a few different cuts and we decided that the “jambon superior” looked precooked…and bought two kilograms (at 20 euros a kilo!). On to the next shop…



I needed poppy seeds for my salad dressing and saw an Epices (spice) shop. The clerk didn’t understand the words poppy seeds, but I had my trusty food dictionary with me, looked up the word…and VOILA! I found poppy seeds! She measured about a handful and gave it to me in a small plastic container.

We hit about 6 markets that morning…..all on Rue Cler……picking up wine, strawberries, spinach, potatoes, onions, but not finding asparagus, or the St. Jaques scallops I needed at the poissonnerie (fish market). So we headed home, emptied our cart, and figured we were going to have to go to the Monoprix, a small version of a SuperTarget. It is a bit of a walk there, but we headed out for round two, with the sun now shining. We did find what we needed, going to a few more shops on the way home to get the asparagus, desserts, and flowers for the table. Eight shops and a supermarche…..it was a full-day’s job.


Easter morning was sunny but COLD…..around 30 degrees! We decided to take the Metro to the American Church in Paris instead of walking and arrived to the grand opening of their renovated sanctuary. It was beautiful…..stained glass windows, huge pipe organ…..but was cold inside (don’t they heat the churches here?). But the beautiful choirs, brass, handbells quickly warmed our hearts, and the service ended with the Hallelujah Chorus. Afterwards, we decided to brave it and walk home, noticing how quiet and empty the streets were…….don’t these Parisians go to church on Easter? We didn’t see many full churches…..


Our guests arrived around 1:00 pm, the scallops with mango and parmesan salsa just finished (oh yeah…I forgot the mango so Lyle had to run back to Rue Cler and pick one up for me!). The ham turned out great….I cooked it longer than I probably needed to, but wanted to make sure it was COOKED! With the au gratin potatoes, strawberry salad, asparagus, baguette, and French tarts, it was a real combination of Franco-American. We sat at the table and talked, laughed, showed pictures of our families that we were missing……and I swear….we sat there until dark. Easter in Paris…..The huge chocolate egg that Frances brought us says Joyeuses Paques, Happy Easter! No hiding baskets or egg hunts this year.......this will have to be a goal next year when we are arranging vacations!!! We missed those little granddaughters!


3 comments:

Anna said...

Ooo how fun, we have been thinking of you! It looks like you had a lovely Easter. How fun to walk to all the different shops for each ingredient (but exhausting too I am sure)...at least it was a beautiful day. We missed you both as well, but we will see you in a few short weeks. Love the pictures and the stories!

Rachel said...

Oh we missed you too! Shopping sounds like quite an adventure. Thankfully it turned into a delicious meal.

Anonymous said...

I think you should have looked on Rue Yankee Doodle for the byerlys. Maybe you should start "Simone delivers"
I can see it now big signs on the subway "Simone delivers" with pictures of cheese, french bread and a fish.
Lyle can get a beret style helmet and deliver the goods on a scooter with a big basket attached to the handle bars.
Another million euro idea.
Glad you had a Joyeuses Paques!