Friday, February 1, 2008

On our way - first stop - Rome



Hello family and friends. Well, we are on our way. Last Saturday, I left for Rome where I have had a meeting and training with my new European team. I arrived in Rome on Sunday and then have spent a couple of days working, getting prepped for our meeting, 3 days with my new team, and, of course, some time to see this exciting and ancient city. It's now Friday evening and time to relax.



It was kind of difficult to get underway last week. Lots of things going on in our lives these past several months - plenty of emotions to experience. As Penny noted in her entry, she retired from her teaching career a week ago. Twenty plus years of teaching, with fifteen of them in Special Education teaching middle school age kids, and in the Minneapolis school system. A well deserved retirement for sure - time to pass the torch. Her teacher friends had a great party for her. Afterwards we had a wonderful dinner with Christa/Steve, Patrick/Tanya, and Matt. A very fun evening indeed. I had a chance to have lunch with Christa and Anna on Friday before I left. A special time for me. What a fantastic daughter and granddaughter. I feel blessed. Here is a picture of me and Anna. One that I will always treasure. Anna sent me a letter too. Special.


I met my new team and got started on the work adventure. Will be a different world than running a team in the US. The culture, languages, and management structure is all very different than the US and also between the countries here. I will have 2 team members in Amerstam, 1 in Brussels, 3 in Paris, 3 in Madrid, 2 in Rome, and 1 in Milan. Will have fun getting around to see them. Going to be busy. The French team seems to like to stay to themselves.... separated.... haven't made a connection yet. Will spend time with them in the coming weeks.


I did lots of walking in Rome. Very interesting and beautiful ancient city. Lots and lots of beautiful ancient architecture, sculture, and ruins. Very busy and noisy. Walked to the Vatican today but didn't have enough time. Very nice and will come back to see more. Had dinner in a restaurant by the Tiber river last night. They showed us the wine cellar in the basement.... the basement and the building foundation was built in the 3rd century.... A very nice establishment - great food. The weather has been very nice - especially compared to the arctic blast you all have been experiencing. High's around 60. I have a few pictures but had trouble uploading them to this computer. Need to work that out and will add a few later.


Tomorrow I head to Paris and Penny joins me on Monday. We hope to find a place to live and get settled. That will be good to have behind us. Looking forward to having someone other than another IBM'er who speaks English to talk to.... Need to catch up and talk and laugh. I miss that.


Anyway, I guess it's time for a glass of wine, a light dinner, and a good nights sleep. Till next time, Lyle

1 comment:

PATRICK said...

This has to be the cutest picture I've seen. Adorable!